Child Support

Utah Divorce Lawyers in Salt Lake City | Child Support

Child support in Utah is almost always determined by statute. In a sole custody situation, both parents’ incomes are added together and a total support obligation is determined by reference to the statutory table or by applying the statutory formula. The total support obligation is then divided between the parents according to their respective contributions toward the total combined income, and the non-custodial parent is ordered to pay his/her portion of the total support obligation to the custodial parent.

For example, if the father makes $6,000.00 per month, and the mother makes $4,000.00 per month, for a combined total of $10,000.00 per month, and they have two children, then their total combined support obligation is $1,683.00 according to the statutory formula for sole physical custody.  And, because $6,000.00 represents 60% of the parties’ combined monthly incomes, 60% of the $1,683.00, or $1,010.00 (rounded), is apportioned to the father, with the remaining 40%, or $673.00 (rounded), being apportioned to the mother.  Thus, if the mother has sole physical custody, then the father pays her child support of $1,010.00 per month; and if the father has sole physical custody, then the mother pays him child support of $673.00 per month.

More complicated formulas apply in cases of joint physical custody or split physical custody, and additional support obligations for medical and dental insurance, uncovered out-of-pocket medical and dental expenses, and work-related child care will also likely apply. As Utah Divorce and Child Custody Attorneys in Salt Lake City, at J.D. Milliner & Associates we will work hard to make sure that your child support amount is correct.

Call Now
JD Milliner